Why subject yourself to tinned soup when you can make your very own? Okay, I know , I know…you don’t have time, you hate to cook, your kids hate soup because it’s too soupy, your special someone actually enjoys those Chunky Hunky Man Meaty Soups. Whatever. Get over it. Make your own soup. You’ll thank me later.
If you’re one of my five avid followers you will recall a Curried Carrot Soup that I made just recently. So crazy good and easy to make that if you haven’t made it yet, make it now.
Today’s recipe is another super easy, ridiculously delicious soup that involves minimal ingredients and minimal time. This soup is perfect for this time of year especially if you live anywhere within the ‘Polar Vortex.’ All you need is chicken stock, eggs, lemon and rice. Yes that’s it. And the end result will be a lovely, velvety, hearty bowl of soup. So simple and yet so luxurious and flavorful. You may very well become obsessed with this soup. I know I am. I’ll be making it again this week.
This post and recipe are for two of my most favorite people on the planet. Bill and Gretchen. I adore them and miss them boatloads. I would love to make them this soup and serve it with some crusty bread, rum and coke (B. & G. will understand) and a couple of bottles of good wine. For now I’ll just think of them and think of the many meals and many drinks we’ve shared together over the years. Cheers!
Lemony Egg Soup
- 5 cups chicken stock (if you’re feeling ambitious make your own stock. otherwise organic chicken stock that comes in the cardboard box is perfectly fine)
- 1/2 cup white rice
- 4 cups escarole, coarsely chopped (I didn’t have anything green in the fridge so my version was sans veg.)
- 3 large eggs
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, as needed
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1. In a medium pot, bring stock to a boil. Add rice and simmer gently until tender, 15 to 20 minutes. (if you have the 10 minute basmati rice from Trader Joe’s, well then it only takes 10 minutes.) Stir in escarole for the last 5 minutes. (or not depending on what you have lurking in the fridge.)
- 2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and 2 tablespoons lemon. Whisking constantly, slowly ladle 1 cup hot broth into the egg mixture. Pour mixture into the pot of hot stock. Cook gently until soup begins to thicken, 2 to 3 minutes. Season with lemon zest, salt, pepper and more lemon juice, if desired.
- You won’t believe the depth of flavor and yumminess of this soup. You’ll want to eat it for every meal which is totally fine. Especially when living in the ‘Polar Vortex.’
- Enjoy! Until next time…Moose out